News:
December 11, 2017, 08:08:01 AM

Click Here For Custom Graphics!

Author Topic: NotThePainter's YJ  (Read 10953 times)

Offline jps4jeep

• Founding Member
  • Average at best
Re: NotThePainter's YJ
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »
might as well wipe my ass before I poop.. I can do it, doesn't make sense.

You have a good platform to start with, good luck, I mean heck, what do I know, I no longer just bolt parts on.

Dad always said "If it has boobs or spark plugs it will be fun AND will cause you problems."

Offline navman 5.0

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »
You have a good platform to start with, good luck, I mean heck, what do I know, I no longer wheel my own rig.

Fixed it for ya lol

[/quote]
95 YJ, Mustang 5.0, Rock Krawler coilover, BDS sua rear, 39" BFG stickeys, 309 axle, Bling Bling Spyderlocks

Offline Axle

• New Members Coordinator
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 12:38:30 PM »
x3 on not needing ANY sway bars on a leaf sprung vehicle.  ;D welcome to the forum! I see you put in an app, we will let you know about our next ride, see you there!
85 cj-7

Offline NotThePainter

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
x3 on not needing ANY sway bars on a leaf sprung vehicle.  ;D welcome to the forum! I see you put in an app, we will let you know about our next ride, see you there!

We're looking forward to it!
--
Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disco w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers , lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified
Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock.

Offline jeepgod

• nothing to see here
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
i can tell you from an engineering stand point there is no reason to run an anti-rock! the end!  jeeps with leaf springs ran NO sway bar for years (around 40 of them) when the sway bar was added it was installed due to bad press about jeeps "flipping" easily. at that time it was deemed needed and it did cut down on body roll in corners but they did not change anything else when they added the sway bar. now keep in ind i am talking about a cj, not a yj.  when the yj came out chrysler lowered the spring height and made the front springs wider and also changed the spring rates so the ride was more comfortable for housewives and the like, broader sale appeal basically. again they used the sway bar and actually added a track bar or pan hard bar as some call it. the thing is all of this was done to add in sale-ability of the jeep, it was not done to increase the safety of the vehicle. a few years after the report cam eout saying jeep flipped easily it was discovered (after the NHTSB did a review of the data supplied by the news report) found that the data was not accurate about jeeps flipping easily and was not reported in an honest and forthright manner. the examples they used were taken out of context, 2 jeeps were driven at an extremely high rate of speed and thrown into a 90 degree turn at around 65mph and the the drivers of 2 of the jeeps were intoxicated at the time that there jeep rolled.

i know as far as you are concerned i am just giving another opinion but i am not i speaking from facts. so go ahead and spend money on an anti-rock (an item never designed or sold to be used on a yj)  ::)

oh and sheep jeep (former owner of your jeep is a good guy) i pulled that jeep out of the mud atleast 10 times back when it had a lift and tires and no lockers etc.  in fact once i just rammed into the the front bumper and pushed him out a mud hole he was stuck in. maybe i broke his frame?
DISCLAIMER: 90% of the time the things i write on this forum are meant as a joke! Please be advised that these jokes are not meant to upset or hurt any one individual. if i offend you i am sorry. the other 10% of the time i am serious. if you are unsure pm me and i will be glad to explain.  thxs

Offline NotThePainter

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
oh and sheep jeep (former owner of your jeep is a good guy) i pulled that jeep out of the mud atleast 10 times back when it had a lift and tires and no lockers etc.  in fact once i just rammed into the the front bumper and pushed him out a mud hole he was stuck in. maybe i broke his frame?

Ha, you owe me a beer then! :- )

He's building a Cherokee now, already spent my money and got axles...

Paul

--
Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disco w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers , lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified

Offline jeepgod

• nothing to see here
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »

Ha, you owe me a beer then! :- )

He's building a Cherokee now, already spent my money and got axles...

Paul

yeah i saw he was building that, i guess it was his brothers ro something. totalled and he rebuilt it.

good luck witht the jeep

as for the beer . . . . i think you owe me a beer cause without me that thing might still be stuck in the mud
DISCLAIMER: 90% of the time the things i write on this forum are meant as a joke! Please be advised that these jokes are not meant to upset or hurt any one individual. if i offend you i am sorry. the other 10% of the time i am serious. if you are unsure pm me and i will be glad to explain.  thxs

Offline NotThePainter

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »

as for the beer . . . . i think you owe me a beer cause without me that thing might still be stuck in the mud

OK, but you buy the 2nd one then...

--

Offline Posimoto

• President
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
Jeep rollover test:

Fact = they added sand bags to the fender well to increase the chance of rollover.

"That's the trouble with research on the internet, there's no way of verifying its truth" --Abraham Lincoln

71 CJ5 V6/T14/D18/Warn OD (from CO)
79 CJ5 304/T-150 Silver Anniversary
79 CJ5.5 360/T-18/4.1 D-300
77 CJ5 360/T-18/3.15 D-20
77 CJ7 258 Fuel Injected T-18/D-20 (from CO)

Offline navman 5.0

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 08:23:01 PM »
Make sure he got around to drilling the bolts for the castle nuts for the steering and put in the cotter pins. When I still had leafs in the front, I felt that my lockable telescopic tracbar did much more for the steering on the street and didn't need the sway bar at all. Body roll was never an issue, but the steering was very sloppy. I used a jks bar that you could unlock to get the added flex in the woods, turn the nut and gain back your control of your steering. If your not street driving it, I wouldn't even bother with either.
95 YJ, Mustang 5.0, Rock Krawler coilover, BDS sua rear, 39" BFG stickeys, 309 axle, Bling Bling Spyderlocks

Offline NotThePainter

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 03:53:49 AM »
Make sure he got around to drilling the bolts for the castle nuts for the steering and put in the cotter pins. When I still had leafs in the front, I felt that my lockable telescopic tracbar did much more for the steering on the street and didn't need the sway bar at all. Body roll was never an issue, but the steering was very sloppy. I used a jks bar that you could unlock to get the added flex in the woods, turn the nut and gain back your control of your steering. If your not street driving it, I wouldn't even bother with either.

It isn't a daily driver for certain, but I'll drive it to the beach, just a short distance, and of course 3+ hours to the trail.

So, before you got the JKS bar you would loosen the castle nut on the trail? I'm having a hard time visualizing why this is a good thing. Have to stare at the steering and think about it some.
--

Offline mika401

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:28 AM »
On my old YJ no track bar no sway bar, no problem, just dont go into a curve at 50 mph, a little common sense goes a long way.

Offline NotThePainter

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »
On my old YJ no track bar no sway bar, no problem, just dont go into a curve at 50 mph, a little common sense goes a long way.

It's not the highway off-ramp I was worried about. I'm more concerned about the cell-phone yakking minivan darting in front of me and I make an emergency lane change...
--

Offline navman 5.0

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
My point on the castle nut is directed at the bolts going through the hiem joints on your steering. I believe he added a cotter pin like you are supposed to, but check it just to make sure. Don't want one of them to loosen up again.

As far as the tracbar goes, the jks has a nut on it that you loosen to free up (basically it slides in and out free for more flex, as if it wasn't even there), and tighten to lock it to regain its usefulness. Mild lifts and spring overs don't typically benefit, or have the need for a tracbar at all. A taller sua lift with more pronounced arced leafs can give you a bit more slop than one might want. I still have mine and since I have a coilover front now I don't need it. Interested in a trade for that swaybar you've got? This is what it is http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=TELTRACK&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Trackbar_Components

Offline mika401

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 07:45:40 PM »

It's not the highway off-ramp I was worried about. I'm more concerned about the cell-phone yakking minivan darting in front of me and I make an emergency lane change...

The you plow into them only to realize you have no damage and their vehicle is totaled, binn there done that...

Click Here For Custom Graphics!