News:
December 11, 2017, 08:05:10 AM

ExtremeTerrain Jeep Wrangler Parts

Author Topic: The Blurp  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Steeleman

• Official NEJ Member
The Blurp
« on: December 22, 2015, 11:54:38 PM »
Figured I was new here, so I would give you a little history of my rig(s)....

Started out with 98 TJ, over the years built it up both out of necessity, and budget. At the end it had a 35" Mtr's, d44 rear, d30 front, short arm lift, regular armor, hi-line fenders, front and rear air lockers, on board air, chromoly shafts, yada yada.

As time went on we started to do harder and harder trails, my buddies Jeeps got bigger, a lot of them turned into buggys. So to keep up I had to make a major upgrade, I found a guy on Pirate so wanted my rig for his straight up. The new Jeep was in pretty rough shape, but the building blocks were there. Ford king pin D60 front with 35 spline outers, 14 bolt in the rear....both with Detroits. It had waggy leafs in the front, stock steering, 42" Irocks with steelies. The rear was (is still) a stretched Clayton 4 link kit, coil springs and Bilstien shocks. The stock gas tank was ratchet strapped in the back, and the interior was mostly in tact, with the exception of the Corbeau seats.

The day I brought it home

Offline Steeleman

• Official NEJ Member
Re: The Blurp
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:56:17 PM »
Had it about week, slapped in a winch and a cb and took it to Rausch. Wheeled a couple days and ended up cracking the transfer case due to a wrecked drive shaft.

Brought it back, got a new case, and some new driveshafts, and slapped on a set of Racelines just because

Offline Steeleman

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:56:55 PM »
After a few more rides, I realized the ax-15 was shot and the stock steering with 42's wasn't ideal.  So I put in an auto trans, and PSC full hydro.

Offline Steeleman

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 11:57:32 PM »
Few trips back and forth to Rausch, and I decides to do some major upgrades. Got rid of the leafs, stretched and put in a custom 4 link, 16" Swayaway 2.5 remote res coilovers, and new interior with 15g RCI fuel cell, with stock pump, PRP seats, custom dash, and re worked the cage a bit.

Offline Steeleman

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:59:58 PM »
Took about a year, but that's pretty much where I'm at today. I have been back to Rausch twice, once in the spring and had a weird Jonny Joint fail, so upgraded to ballistic joints. Also put in their shaved kits on both axles and put in a set of drive slugs.

This winters project is new radiator and set of electric fans. Long term goals are LS swap, Atlas, and putting coil overs in the rear.

Offline JayZR2

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
Looks fast!
Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and [censored] the prom queen.

Offline Twisty

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:04:55 AM »
Was that flatlander's rig?  It looks familiar.  I wonder if the JJ shank would not have broken if it were threaded into the control arm more.  I have my joints all the way in and maybe 2-3 revolutions out.

Also, why electric fans?  Everytime I've seen a rig overheat it has had electric fans.
88 MJ buggy, 4.0/AW4, 203/205, 3 link front/4 link rear on airshocks, 42" Iroks, full hydro

"Only wealthy men can afford to buy cheap things."

Offline Axle

• New Members Coordinator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »
nice!
85 cj-7

Offline Steeleman

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
The rig came out of Ohio....I had the JJ about half way in, never had a problem with them before. I just think it was a bad joint.

Imo electric fans push more air. I've a lot of overheating issues with my stock setup. Going with a bigger aluminum radiator and thermostat to see if I can keep her cool.

Offline Bosox

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »
PRPs and Racelines are for rich guys!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Offline Bosox

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »
Assed out, ha!

(Video)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:08:18 PM by Bosox »
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Offline Steeleman

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 10:04:53 PM »
Awful...

Offline Bosox

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »
A bit mo bettah
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »
thanks for sharing, good looking rig. I look forward to seeing it on the trail. do you truly think that going with ballistic joints was an upgrade though? Ive had nothing but trouble with my ballistics in the past. and i dont even off road with them.
-Tony
I once read in a bathroom stall, "You can't rush perfection"

Offline Ian

• Treasurer
  • slow ride, take it easy
    • pioneers surf report
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
how much of the thread was exposed on the ballistic joint?  did it sheer off flush with the tub adapter?
i am an AMSOIL dealer! pm me for a quote

60 w/ minor bling 4.56, 14b ff rear w/detriot 4.56, atlas 2speed 5.0 4 custom link rear and 3link front, 110" wheelbase, pcs full hydro, fox 2.5's,  and 42" Irok stikies... and no clue

'00 tj (see above)

Jeep Parts and Accessories