News:
December 15, 2017, 01:37:42 AM

Replacement Parts for Jeep Vehicles & More...

Author Topic: Toochicon Long Arm Upgrade  (Read 208 times)

Offline Tooch

• Official NEJ Member
Toochicon Long Arm Upgrade
« on: August 26, 2017, 09:44:30 AM »
So most of you know that i'm putting a RE long arm on my 04 Rubicon to make it a little more street friendly and better on teh trails.  Also, you know that RUST SUCKS!!!!

I'm at a point where i've got the majority of the bolts off to get the new center pan/long arm mounts bolted on but i've hit a point where i'm not sure what to do.  5 of the 6 belly pan bolts came out and the 6th one is just spinning.  I was going to just cut it off, but i need that nut on the inside of the frame to mount the new belly pan to the frame.  Is this one of those "carefully cut the frame, re-weld the bolt to the frame on the inside, weld the frame back together" situations?

Secondly, there are 6 body mount bolts that i'm trying to get off to remove my rocker protection and i can only get 3 of them off.  I'm having the same issue.....they are spinning and spinning. 

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline Axle

• New Members Coordinator
Re: Toochicon Long Arm Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
first, always try to use heat! second, you can cut the bolt off, brill or cut out the nut, weld in a new nut or threaded insert. hope this helps.
85 cj-7

Offline Axle

• New Members Coordinator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
85 cj-7

Offline Tooch

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »
Yup....not sure why i didn't think that it was a nutsert?  I way over thought this and i am super glad Bob brought me back down to earth!

Replacements nutserts were ordered and will be here tonight, old ones are coming out and hopefully belly skid and upper arm mounts will be on in a couple days.

thanks Bob.

Offline SPYDER

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 02:09:33 PM »
They are both nutserts.

For the frame, try lowering the skid a little to put more weight on the bolt.  Usually works.  But if it doesn't cut the head off and try tacking the insert to the frame and then removing the rest of the bolt.

Now for the body mounts.  Good luck.  It happened to me on my first jeep and this present one.  First time I drilled it and just nut and bolted it cause I could easily get to it.  The second time around I had to cut an access hole in the body to get to the nut.
05 Tj d44's, 4.88s, ARB's, 37's and some bling
99 TJuggy d60,5.13s, ARB/Spool, 40's, backhalfed
06.5 GMC 2500
05 WK 2" w/32's

Offline jps4jeep

• Founding Member
  • Average at best
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »
Before I even touched a body mount on my jeep, I drilled small holes on the inside of the tub and more than liberally sprayed penetrating spray in there. I still ended up having 4 that would just spin. I ended up cutting small access holes in the tub and removed them. replaced with simple nut and left top access.
Dad always said "If it has boobs or spark plugs it will be fun AND will cause you problems."

Offline Tooch

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »
They are both nutserts.

For the frame, try lowering the skid a little to put more weight on the bolt.  Usually works.  But if it doesn't cut the head off and try tacking the insert to the frame and then removing the rest of the bolt.

Now for the body mounts.  Good luck.  It happened to me on my first jeep and this present one.  First time I drilled it and just nut and bolted it cause I could easily get to it.  The second time around I had to cut an access hole in the body to get to the nut.

I already tried putting the weight on the belly skid and all it did was bend the metal and spin.

I've got some more free time this weekend where i hope to get those other nutserts outs so i can move forward.  Not looking too good at the start of this project, but not too much rust at all underneath.

Acton Jeep - A Family Owned Dealership.