News:
July 27, 2017, 01:56:09 PM

Click Here For Custom Graphics!

Author Topic: Best socket storage solution  (Read 2065 times)

Offline jps4jeep

• Founding Member
  • Average at best
Re: Best socket storage solution
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »
Not much more that the hansen, not that bad, I really like those!
Dad always said "If it has boobs or spark plugs it will be fun AND will cause you problems."

Offline JayZR2

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
I use the same things as Ian but for the swivels and other odd ball sockets I have I have long magnetic rail with adapters that 1/4 turn to lock the socket on.  id take a picture of my socket drawer but im pretty sure you will all hate me if I do.

That's not why we hate you...

lol

I'll remember that the next time your about to take a swim in really cold water.....  :P
Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and [censored] the prom queen.

Offline Twisty

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »
Not much more that the hansen, not that bad, I really like those!

That's what I was thinking.  I broke one of the little posts off of my Hansen socket tray, which is always a concern when I take them out of the box and to a work location.  Seems like the AL ones would be much more durable. 

The Hansen posts are hollow, and I found a wood screw that fit inside perfectly.  I just glued it and tightened it down with the screw from the bottom.  Been holding fine for a few years now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:03:41 PM by Twisty »
88 MJ buggy, 4.0/AW4, 203/205, 3 link front/4 link rear on airshocks, 42" Iroks, full hydro

"Only wealthy men can afford to buy cheap things."

Offline Axle

• New Members Coordinator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 07:39:15 AM »
those aluminum ones are nice, but i like the way the plastic ones have the size sticking out. I use the metal clip strip type, they hold together even in the back of the jeep on the trail.
85 cj-7

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »
John when anything is ever in question always check mcmastercarr first.
I have some of thoe upright rails like tim pictured, and i like them for my standard everydays, but all of my swivel heads, allens, torx, square, and odds and end sockets i have on these rails sold by mcmaster. it is a quality part and i like it a lot.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-clips/=wq7z5m

They also sell the plastic ones that snapon makes a similar ripoff to.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-clips/=wq805h

When you come over to watch playoff hockey next season you can check mine out.  :o
I once read in a bathroom stall, "You can't rush perfection"

Offline jps4jeep

• Founding Member
  • Average at best
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 10:12:09 AM »
I ended up de-winterizing the boat and doing yard work the whole day and never made it to Harbor Freight.

Ultimately for the cost involved, I really think I am going this route.  Worse case they absolutely suck and I am out $20-40 depending on how many I need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-sae-socket-trayorganizer-68100.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-metric-socket-trayorganizer-68102.html
Dad always said "If it has boobs or spark plugs it will be fun AND will cause you problems."

Offline Krome

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
harbor freight really is the best place for this stuff

Offline Twisty

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 04:07:02 PM »
None of the trays have a space for 1 3/16.  I hate having those roll around.
88 MJ buggy, 4.0/AW4, 203/205, 3 link front/4 link rear on airshocks, 42" Iroks, full hydro

Offline jps4jeep

• Founding Member
  • Average at best
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »
I keep my 13/16 in my boat tool locker, spark plug size..

My 1  3/16 is also rolling around in a drawer with all my large sockets. I might make something simple out of scrap steel to hold all the large sockets similar to the hansen setup.

Offline jwebb1998

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »
I envy you all, i wish i had your problems.  I dont even have a real toolbox to worry about organizing, good ole blow molded case.

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 06:58:52 PM »
harbor freight really is the best place for this stuff
I partially disagree with this, but it all depends what your looking for in the long run.
Like tim says missing one size and having that swinging around in a box or drawer is a pain and to me thats worth an extra $20-$30 to me just to have that organization or ability to expand in the future.

I will say though, if you buy the metal socket rails from HF you may as well buy a peice of double stick tape because the second you pick one up your going to loose sockets.  that style rail really shouldn't be skimped on.
here is that combiation rail i bought from mcmaster. I like it a lot and i have one in my "travel" tool box also.
I think they wrk so well because they are all attached instead of single separate strips. it allows them to have some more weight behind them when you pull something off of it and your not bending it and other sockets aren't falling off in the process.

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 10:47:20 PM »
john just get these, dont buy from HF
its only a difference of $4 a tray, and i will put money on the fact you will be disappointed in the HF stuff.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-trays/=wqqkb1
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:49:09 PM by HEYzipupyourfly »

Offline jps4jeep

• Founding Member
  • Average at best
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 05:28:44 AM »
Thanks Tony,
if you factor in that I need about 8-9 of these and shipping, turns out to be about a $45-50 difference. I still think I am going to go with HF stuff, like I said earlier, if I learn my lesson and end up buying something else, I can always resell what I have. I am only a part time hack garage mechanic, If this was my profession or the tools were being used constantly every day, then I would go all out.

On another note, I have two 26" three piece roll away boxes, one is a good quality craftsman and the other is a set up I bought from Northern Tools when I was probably 14 yrs old. It is in great shape, but non-bearing drawers and somewhat shallow top drawers.  I am in the process of building a new work bench in the garage and I was planning on getting the US general bottom box to go under the new bench, but it appears this is similar quality wise and cheaper by over $100 including the HF 20% off coupon. Going to check it out today in store.

The 44-46" box is a perfect fit, if I could put larger I would, but damn chimney is in the way.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-9-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-HOTC4609B1QBD/203859406?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203859406-_-N#customer_reviews

Offline jps4jeep

• Founding Member
  • Average at best
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 05:32:00 AM »

This is (same style to) what I have now and I hate them. I have to pick up the entire strip to struggle with reading socket size, then two hands to fight the socket off and/or put back on.

Offline Twisty

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 06:29:41 AM »
John, look at the US General 44" box at HF.  Very nice unit.

ExtremeTerrain Jeep Wrangler Parts