News:
December 14, 2017, 05:01:34 AM

ExtremeTerrain Jeep Wrangler Parts

Author Topic: Who thinks they're getting a deal on their phone plan? my Rant for 2014  (Read 1150 times)

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
Re: Who thinks they're getting a deal on their phone plan? my Rant for 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »
someday thinking back to metered mobile data will be like remembering back to dial-up metering of  internet minutes.

Remember the AOL Discs you would get in the mail for free 500 minutes of use? lol

This is why i refuse to pay for a limited amount of data and more if i happen to listen to another song, or watch a youtube clip someone sends me.

I wound up buying a unlocked phone on ebay and signing up for the ATT gophone which is unlimited everything for $45 a month. the beauty is if i don't like it. next month i'll try another carrier. seems to be the bes option for the single phone line plans around with AT&Ts service being right up there with verizons in this area.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:52:45 PM by HEYzipupyourfly »
I once read in a bathroom stall, "You can't rush perfection"

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
bobby any real difference between the straight talk and the gophone? both are $45 a month for unlimited everything.

Offline Bluerocket

• Official NEJ Member
  • Event Coordinator
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »
I don't know the two specifically.  But back a couple years ago I did a lot of research. 
Most rebranding companies ride on another carriers network, and most major carriers have roaming agreements
For instance sprint customers can roam to Verizon for voice. 
Mvno's on sprints network do not get this roaming and this is a difference in network coverage/ quality.

Ting uses sprint and at the time was the only carrier to get the Verizon roaming. 

There are some great sites which have all the mvno's compared by feature in a chart which takes a lot of leg work out.   

For the two you list I would look into how their back end networks really work.
Most unlimited plans get throttled down after x gb on these type carriers some googling and you can figure out what the caps are to compare.   

I use buying a phone up front as a $20/mo difference in price.   For example for strait talk I would evaluate it as 45+20/mo when comparing to sibsidized plans like att/vz.    If you typically keep your phones more than 2 years the. You win out buying them upfront.   If you need insurance or break them a lot then the pay as you go style plans may not be for you. 

I personally want to get to gsm phones as the SIM cards help swap them between carriers easily.   Some pre paid plans are cdma and you should consider the phones throw out.   However if you have a phone that's unlocked you can freely take it between T-Mobile att strait talk etc with no worries. 

I'm in the same boat as you, one smartphone is the worst value money can buy.  Look around, do lots of math on the total cost of ownership.   Maybe grab your historic use as well and check it out.   I found that unlimited data wasn't a requirement, and something that allows 2gb then throttles is preferable to me than getting billed overages. 
84 - 7

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
The ATT gophone plan allows 2.5Gb before it throttles you to 128kbps, the $45 plan allows for 1GB.
what does the straight talk allow?

Trust me i DID all the math out and wasted a lot of verizon, tmobile,sprint att reps time finding out EXACTLY what i would be paying monthly.
without going back to my notes(and i used 24 months as a baseline) most of the plans where you buy the phones for $200 then pay activation fees, servis fees, usage fees other random stuff they tak onto the bills.
At the end of the day the average between all the 4 with their 2Gb plans and or unlimited data plans they were all withing $100 of each other coming in on both sides of $2500 dished out over the course of 24 months.

Allowing one an allotment of $500 to buy phone outright, buy a sim card ($5) and paying $67 for the larger gb allowed att plan over the course of 24 months still came in on average $200 cheaper than getting locked into a plan.
NOW if you get away with the $45 plans, your looking at Even more savings over a 2 year period, and not even a little i'm talking another $450 in savings.

Lock into a plan and spend around $2500 over two year period, 
Buy a $500 phone pay $45 a month  for 24 months spend around $1700.
I cant believe the differences, there has to be a phone revolution.

not sure what the real appeal is but companies are now doing plans where you finance the full price of the phone, Still pay the same for the service, plus service charges. the only appeal is that you can upgrade whenever you pay off close to %75 of the phone. BUT you have to turn in the phone at the end. wtf. that is highway robbery.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:35:56 PM by HEYzipupyourfly »

Online JayZR2

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »
It all won't matter much when the carriers force everyone to switch to VoIP anyway.
Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and [censored] the prom queen.

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 02:24:02 AM »
i think its unlikely they will force anyone to do that, too many free options out there already that most people will not even bother with and no matter how reliable they make it its still going to be pretty hard to stray completely away from standard cell tower phones and  go completely over internet.

I would rather see them make the iridium phone plans cheaper, they are a heck of a lot more reliable. and it wouldn't care where you are or what you had for internet service. 

Offline Mitch

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Tony, straighttalk has 4g LTE, not sure if gophone or YOUR phone support that. Straighttalk is unlimited but capped like gophone at 2.5gb and then throttled down - I have only hit that mark once in my life, and if you want to get unthrottled you simply throw another 45 dollars at them.

I think you are on the right track though.
Jeep-less and grumpy.

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 08:54:12 AM »
the phone i got supperts all GSM networks.

Offline Krome

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
i think its unlikely they will force anyone to do that, too many free options out there already that most people will not even bother with and no matter how reliable they make it its still going to be pretty hard to stray completely away from standard cell tower phones and  go completely over internet.

I would rather see them make the iridium phone plans cheaper, they are a heck of a lot more reliable. and it wouldn't care where you are or what you had for internet service. 

I think Jay Means VoLTE. All the carriers are in the process of retiring old voice lines because it's far past depreciated and makes no $$ (that's why you get unlimited mins and text). Eventually everything will be VoLTE and it will go against your data when you actually talk to someone, not like anyone does that anymore?

Online JayZR2

• Official NEJ Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »
Correct, my bad. VoLTE. It's happening in the next 3 -4 years according to my buddy that installs and works on cell towers.
Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and [censored] the prom queen.

Offline HEYzipupyourfly

• Official NEJ Member
    • photobucket
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 02:18:37 AM »
Ah ok, still kind of the same thing though. Its generally available right now with apps like skiep, facetime, google voice, etc. there are a handfull of them being used which is essentially the same thing. uses data instead of voice minutes. requires enough coverage to keep solid internet connection speeds. which in my experiance isnt all that acceptable most places or inside certain buildings.
I just simply dont get LTE coverage everywhere I am. heck my phone changes from room to room at my house and sometimes i talk while i walk around the house. what then?

ExtremeTerrain Jeep Wrangler Parts